30 March 2006

Just leave your credit card at the door on the way in

The school uniform shop cleaned out my purse today. It’s a bit of a standing joke around here. When my brother visits, he invariably wants some gadget or other (or several) and we end up emptying out his wallet. A friend of DH’s has started doing the same thing, the poor guy sees one thing, then another, etc and he just can’t help himself. Oh well, it’s a good way to clear some space and H might eventually get his own room!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. With only another 2 and a bit weeks of Term 1 to go, it was time to sort out winter uniforms for the boys. The only thing left now is black shoes for H, which I’ll sort out during the holidays, in hope that I can allow for any more foot growth between now and then. It will be interesting to see whether he has size 4 or 5 (like his sport shoes) – I’m thinking size 5. Why does my just turned 7 year old have to have such big feet?

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of my first surgery, Wide Local Exicision and Axillary Clearance. I’m still a little emotional about it, not about losing a breast, but the whole breast cancer thing. These anniversaries are getting a little easier, but I think they’ll affect me for a while to come.


Monday 29 March 2004

J has woke EARLY and wouldn’t settle back to sleep.

We got the show on the road with H to school. He is very excited about Daddy picking him up and looking after him.

Two teachers gave me a card which brought tears to my eyes.

11.15ish – off to hospital. Book in and wait. Up to ward (share room) and wait.

J is fairly well behaved. Gave him ½ vegemite baguette, 2 cheese sticks and 1 fruit stick.

BP, weight, temp, heart rate done at around 12.30pm.

The nurse went through what to expect afterwards.

1.30pm Anaesthetist came in to fill in the necessary paperwork and tell me what to expect after surgery. I can eat whenever I feel up to it.

Get ready around 3.30pm.

Probably take 1.5 hours in surgery from around 4-4.30pm. So now we wait – the story of the last 2 weeks.

Wrote a little letter to H. Phoned DH to let him know what is going on (for now).

15.05pm shower, shave legs and armpits.

16.10pm – shot to prevent clots in legs – right thigh.

Taken to the waiting area for Theatre at around 6.45pm – 1st floor. Then into theatre at about 7pm. Reminds me of what an execution room may look like (by lethal injection).

My surgeon says this is the worst bit. I’m a bit upset and teary. They set up the drip in my right wrist. I get a little woosey, then I’m out. He will phone DH when I come out of surgery.

In the recovery room, I’m feeling rather dopey. There are several others in there, most go and 1 more comes in. I find it hard to open my eyes and keep them open. Concentration is not a strong point at this time.

Can’t remember whether it’s 8.05 or 9.05pm the 1st time I look at the clock. I’m not that helpful to the recovery nurse. I have a bit of pain in my armpit (like a screwdriver being shoved in). I opt for pain relief in recovery rather than back in my room. I have to stay there to check for any reaction.

10.10pm Back to my room. 1 hourly obs. I put earplugs in and only wake for 1-2 obs. I’d asked them to phone DH to let them know what’s happening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home