19 March 2006

Farmers in training

J’s class had a family outing to a farm barn today. The weather was glorious. The boys had a ball with the baby animals, and feeding goats, sheep, donkey, sheep, calves, chooks and making up platters to feed to the pigs. They also enjoyed riding the Shetlands (H had 2 rides) and playing with the ride on pedal tractors. All the animals had such lovely temperaments.

They have such a lovely set up there and they keep the kids amused. J didn’t want to leave, and let us know in no uncertain terms! He got absolutely covered with dirt from head to toe and everywhere in between – I could have used a carpet beating stick to get it out of his clothes and shoes, but a wipe down with a couple of tissues and a hand dust off had to suffice. I have to admit, I’m pleased it didn’t rain – at the rate they picked up dirt, mud would not have been welcome.

During the afternoon, H wanted to play some of the games he was given for his birthday. I helped H play “Battleships” with DH. Afterwards, H, J and I played a couple of games of "Junior Scrabble". The boys did really well.

We ended up having takeaway pizza for dinner, you really can’t beat $3.95 each for large pizzas! J ate 4 pieces (a new record for him, he usually manages 2 pieces) and H ate 5, a little down on his usual 6 (or more) pieces. It was rather fortuitous that we bought 3 pizzas, they were needed.


19 March 2004

Testing day

I’m booked in for a CT scan of chest and abdomen, chest x-ray and whole body bone scan. These tests should show whether the cancer has spread and indicate the next steps and possible treatment.

The testing fun starts at 10.30am. J isn’t too happy about mummy being away.

The clinic gives me a bottle of “contrast medium” (oh, they have such a lovely way of saying “barium meal”, don’t they?) I have to drink 1 cup every 15 minutes for 1 hour. The chair isn’t all that comfortable for a longer wait. This stuff doesn’t taste too bad, especially as I’ve not been allowed any food or drink 4 hours before – in other words, nothing since last night.

While I wait, thoughts run through my head:

“How on earth does a daughter tell her mother that she has breast cancer?”

OK, why is it that hospital gowns aren’t generous enough to cover all the body? I have to settle for 2, one on back, one on front.

For the CT scan, dye is given in vein in my right elbow – I have a metallic taste and a warm “wetting” sensation down below. The automated voice tells me what to do; “Take a deep breath – hold your breath” “Breathe away”. The scans are very quick.

Next room – chest x-ray, then get dressed – errr, can’t do up bra or buttons with the gel in my vein! The technician helped me dress.

Around to nuclear medicine next for the whole body bone scan. I’m injected with radioactive tracer. “Come back in 3 hours for the scan”. What am I supposed to do? It’s after midday. A friend who works nearby is tied up with a board meeting, so it’s just me. I decided to go for a little walk and get some lunch. I ended up in a Thai restaurant and ordering Pad Thai (very nice – it’s been a long time) and an orange juice. I then went on to a café for coffee and read my book for a while.

I was back at the clinic by around 2.30pm (and into the waiting room in nuclear medicine at around 2.45pm). I had to wait for a couple of in-patients.

The head scan was done (both sides) then it was back to waiting room briefly. My whole body bone scan was then done, took approx 12 mins for front from head to toe, then my back was done, a slightly shorter time. It’s fun trying to keep still and not get itchy for that time.

Then it was back to waiting room until I know the scans are OK (I won’t get the results until I see my surgeon again).

DH picked me up at about 4.30pm, so it was a long day of mostly sitting around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home