02 April 2006

April Fool's

Nothing of April Fool's significance hit the papers here today, so I ventured overseas to see what pranks were pulled.

My top pick was from the UK was about the penguin spotted waddling along the banks of the Thames in central London. Of course it was a first and came hot on the heels of tragic tale of the whale what swam up the Thames recently. Of course there was the obligatory photo and a wonderful map illustrating the penguin’s journey from the South Pole.

Some “expert” claimed it was of the “Jackass” breed, that brays like a donkey.


Thursday 1 April 2004

I watched dawn and the cloud creep over the hills, thus obliterating the sky. I put TV on at around 6am.

Had breakfast – cornflakes, OJ, baked beans on toast, bacon, stewed apples.

Watched TV a little more, phoned DH to say I needed phone cable and connector so I could check mail as the phone cables were sealed into the phone.

Had shower and got into own jarmies.

DH came in with J after dropping H at school.

I rested most of the day.

Had roast chicken and veg, pea and ham soup, fruit salad, bread roll and cup of tea for lunch.

Sent emails in the afternoon.

My surgeon arrived. I asked if we had a time and he said around 2pm, so fasting from 7am. Yes I should have a ‘flu shot due to decreased immunity when having chemo. All up, it should take about 1 hour, plus recovery time. I asked for strong anti-nausea drugs early on this time – he agreed. Of course he asked how I was and I said that I think I have my head around it now, although as he knows, the situation is not ideal.

I asked what type of cancer it was (meaning slow, fast?) Not sure if the question was worded right. He said Type 2, would never be type 1 due to my age and most my age would be type 3, so I’m lucky. Some tissue from the side will go (I think) as well as what’s left on the front.

Watched a bit of “Notting Hill”. DH arrived with the boys at about 3.45pm. Had hugs with H and J – they were a bit ratty while there.

I got up to go to the loo, carefully collecting my precious drains and somehow managed to pull out the under breast one and didn’t feel it. Called for help. They checked it, there was a little still coming out but not much and it will be obsolete tomorrow anyway. They put a “patch” over it after removing the stitch that had been holding it in. I think my BCS scar would have been quite neat!

Went through H’s word list and communication book – he’s been doing really well, although there was one day his teacher said he was “loud”. She had written in some notes of best wishes. I wrote a thank you note to her. She was hoping to drop in tomorrow after Sports Day, but I’ll be in surgery then.

DH took the boys home for baked beans on toast for tea.

A breast care nurse came in for a bit more of a chat.

I had dinner, leek and potato soup, quiche lorraine, salad, icecream, bread and butter, and filled out my “light” breakfast order with a note saying I needed it early so I could begin fasting.

Mum and Dad phoned I said I was OK with it all.

Went and got myself a fresh jug of cordial, glass and a couple of straws. Went for a walk downstairs, outside, sat a while in the waiting area, then came back upstairs – it took a bit out of me.

I sorted out some emails, watched a little TV – had “Queen Mary 2” on Getaway, the largest cruise ship ever built – 44 double decker buses long!

Told staff I thought I’d try 2 sleeping tablets tonight – was suggested to me earlier. Have been writing in my diary for the last hour or so trying to record the happenings of the last 1.5 days.

Asked for sleeping tablets at 10.30pm. Took 1 at 10.30 and one at 11.05pm, put earplugs in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home