25 August 2006

Where do all the socks go?

The only plausible explanation is that my washing machine chooses them indiscriminately and eats them. It’s done by stealth. How it manages to cull one or two from the herd on a regular basis is just a bit beyond me. I wonder if it would happen in top loading washers had clear lids. This phenomenon seems isolated to the boy’s socks.

Any other explanation just doesn’t seem to gel with me. They could sneak out the door, hail a cab, board a plane and be lazing on a golden sandy beach, under an umbrella, sipping their Martinis (or G&Ts). They would be doing it just to make me totally jealous – bastards! I want a holiday, and I’m not all that fussy where. They could of course, just be lost under the constant piles of clean laundry – nah, that’s too simple.

It’s not as if I haven’t tried to make it easier to identify pairs and whose socks belong to whom. I’ve sown different coloured threads into the top of each sock. Some of these threads have vanished or is that washing machine conspiring against me in yet another way.

Let’s hope the washing machine doesn’t eat DH’s new socks! I’ll be watching them very closely for any slight of hand. Oh the fun of trying to get compression stockings for DH. Well to be more correct, he needs an “extra firm” compression sock for his right leg, to help with his hopefully temporary lymphoedema. Yes that word dreaded by any woman who has had axillary lymph nodes removed - lymphoedema! And I thought I’d be the one to have my life made a misery by it. Of course I’ll always be at risk from it, but it seems ironic that it wasn’t me in this instance.

Pharmacies stock 15-20 mmHg socks/stockings for “mild” compression. As we need “extra firm” (30-40 mmHg), we were informed that we’d need a letter from DH’s doctor before they could place an order – some sort of legal mumbo jumbo. It’s frustrating, as it won’t be in until at least Monday, and DH will need to remain in bed to try and get the swelling right down before the sock goes on.

It also follows that these things come at a price. The “mild” version wasn’t too bad at around $35. The one DH needs is in the vicinity of $85! We will get a discount through the pharmacy, but I’m wondering whether our health insurance might cough up. I shall have to make some enquiries.


Wednesday 25 August 2004

CMF2 Day 1

Even though this is the start of the second last cycle, it doesn’t make it any easier, I think it just gets harder.

Appointment with onc at 11.30am.

Took J to Kindergym, then on to a friend’s while I went for chemo. Took some bolognaise sauce which I had made the night before and frozen.

My onc was running about 20-30 mins late so we waited and I rested. Everything is going along OK. I don’t think he thinks very much of any “natural” remedies for coping with the side effects – I think his attitude is to just grin and bear it – not at all my idea of fun. I have enough medication to last this week, but will need more prescriptions next week.

Was given Anzemet IV before chemo. The saline seemed to have a “taste” to it today.

It all went OK.

An initial appointment has been set up with the radiation onc for 6 September 2004 – it will probably take 30 mins.

DH picked H up from school. I rested all afternoon on the sofa. They had left over spag bog and I had some soup. I was about to take some ondancetron when my stomach decided that I’d waited too long and I vomited. I felt a little better afterwards, although at the time I thought my face would burst. Went to bed before 11pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home