06 August 2006

Survivors and survival take many forms

Well, I survived the period from hell. Let’s just say that maternity sanitary protection just didn’t cut it and leave it at that. As soon as it actually started, the hot flushes came back. C’est la vie!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

My friend M has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. She’s about to turn 51 and lives in the country. We worked together for several years and although we don’t keep in touch on a regular basis, we pick it up whenever we do catch up.

She awoke early Thursday (27 July) morning and felt a lump. M was, from that moment, thrust onto this horrendous rollercoaster ride and hasn’t had time to catch her breath. She sent me a very brief email my Monday night. I phoned her Tuesday evening and we chatted for around ¾ of an hour. I think it put her mind to rest about a few things, which is good, and after our chat, she managed to eat something for the first time in several days.

She had her bone scans done on Wednesday and CT scans on Thursday. Thankfully they have come back clear.
M underwent surgery on Thursday (3 August). She had a mastectomy and lymph nodes removed. She should have the first of her pathology results back by tomorrow, which should give some indication as to whether further treatment is necessary, and if so, what.

I got busy and made a couple of things, a floozy boob (a delicate A cup), a small teddy bear with scarf and decorated the cover of a journal.


I dropped in to see her Friday afternoon and she was doing very well, sitting in a chair, with her DH, 2 daughters and 3 grand daughters (aged 7-13 months, includes twins). It looks like she’ll be on her way home on Tuesday, all being well. We chatted until it was time for me to pick the boys up from school.

M, I’m here for you!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Today marks the anniversary of DH and I getting together. We’ve made it to 28 years!

I was a mere 17 years old almost 18, and he 19. It was a bit of a set up where some girls thought I was trying to “steal” their boyfriends and decided they’d do something about it. BTW I was the only girl studying geology at uni in a class full of guys – we were all just friends, nothing more. Our first “date” consisted of DH coming around to the flat I shared with 3 girls and we all worked on crossword puzzles.

I suppose that sums up our relationship, yep, nothing ordinary!

2 Comments:

At 6/8/06 22:57, Blogger Karen said...

Happy anniversary, Sharen!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, but it's so great for her that she has you to talk to and ease her fears. I wish her the best.

 
At 7/8/06 02:12, Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

{{{hugs}}} for your friend M. she is in my heart and prayers.

Happy anniversary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home