14 May 2006

Mothers’ Day

The annual Mothers’ Day Classic was held today. It’s a 4 or 8km walk or run to raise funds for breast cancer research. The event is now run in most capital cities. I think it’s the second year it’s been held here.


In taking part I was one of around 30,000 participants nationwide (and 1,700 here in Adelaide), in the knowledge that the amount raised since the inception of the event would go past $2 million today. We have to remember that Adelaide has a population of around 1 million, and Australia 20 million.

The Adelaide course was a loop, set around the city part of the Torrens Linear Park – quite picturesque.


Since my level of fitness is total crap and I haven’t walked more than a couple of kilometres straight in the last 2 and a bit years, I chose to do the 4km walk. I really wanted to do this walk for me, to prove that I could do it. I also wanted to dedicate it to some other women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Many participants dedicated their efforts to loved ones.


We woke to a cloudy day of around 13C. By 9.30am (walk start time), it had warmed to a cosy 14C!

Bottled water was supplied, as was fresh fruit and a “goody bag” (including a participation medallion) at the end of the event. Purple sponsor’s balloons were bobbing around everywhere, tied to walkers’ hair, backpacks, strollers, wrists.

The 4km runners went first, followed by the 8km runners. The walkers then had an aerobic warm up session – I was afraid if I did the warm up, I wouldn’t make the distance! One minutes silence was observed to remember those with breast cancer and those who are no longer with us.

It was then time to get under way. Trying to negotiate the start gate was a task in itself. It took a few minutes for everyone to squeeze through. After a couple more bottlenecks in the early stages, one going under a bridge, the other traversing the weir at the end of Torrens Lake, the field had a chance to spread out a bit. I suppose I was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the head of the walkers, which was quite good.





The route was mostly flat, with the occasional rise, enough to put a strain on poor old me. The biggest problem I had was with the camber of the track, it was giving my right knee a hurry up.

Although the boys were watching from near the start/finish gates, I didn’t see them as they waved to me across the water.

Towards the end, the hot flushes were cutting in and the balls of my feet were starting to scream at me.

The walkers were not timed, but I covered the 4km in around 40-45 minutes – I was pleased with the result.

There was an entertainer at the finish gate who thought he was a comedian. He got my back up by saying that the runners had finished and we were the stragglers/slackers, something along those lines that didn’t sound very nice to me (can’t remember exactly what he said), but I was not impressed so I let him know “I’ll give you a dose of chemo and see how you go!” I don’t think he was impressed either, but stiff!


I hadn’t realised how lopsided I am these days – damned prosthesis! *blush*


They had free entertainment – music, bouncy castle, stilt walkers, etc along with catering; a sausage sizzle, pancakes, coffee, etc. The big tiger bouncy castle was constantly in demand.

It was a good morning, and although we didn’t see sunshine, it was great weather for walking. A case of “hat hair” followed me around all day, but hey, I’m proud of my accomplishment. I hope to do it again next year. Whether I tackle the 4 or 8km will depend on how fit I manage to get by then.

YES, I DID IT!!!


Friday 14 May 2004

AC1 – Day 10

Day 10 of treatment

I feel lousy today, whether it’s because it’s day 10, or just that I’m too tired, I don’t know.

I feel that I’m not getting any emotional support from DH – I could use a few hugs and someone telling me that it’s all going to be OK. We hardly talk any more, he’s always got his nose in his computer, morning, noon and night, and meal times (the height of bad manners in my opinion). I suppose it’s his way of coping.

Everything seems incredibly dry, mouth, eyes, hands, etc, even though I’m keeping my fluid intake up.

After dropping H at school, I slept/rested most of the day on the sofa, and didn’t have much of an appetite.

I took a couple of paracetamol tablets later in the day as my head was giving me a hard time.

I haven’t been coping very well emotionally with all this and often almost cry myself to sleep at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home