11 May 2006

Farewell Auntie M

Today we celebrated the life of Auntie M, my dad’s sister. All her siblings and the cousins were there. It was good to see them, but sad due to the circumstances that brought us there. The last 3 times we’ve been together has been at funerals, firstly Uncle G in 1999, then Grandma in 2000 and now Auntie M.

There was a private cremation this morning, attended by Auntie M’s children, siblings and grandchildren. This afternoon they held a service of thanksgiving at the church she attended. The minister gave a lovely eulogy and my cousin J (Aunt’s youngest daughter) had some lovely words to say on behalf of all the family. She handled it wonderfully in what were very difficult circumstances. I spoke with her afterwards and she said that during the last couple of years when her mother was ill, she spent a lot of time with her and got to really know more than the mother side of her. Her mother treasured those times and J will carry those memories with her always.

Auntie M never let her illnesses tie her down. She lived to her limitations. There was even a trip to Darwin in July planned.

The order of service in included some poems, which I wish to share here:

A mothers love is something
That no one can explain.
It is made of deep devotion,
And of sacrifice and pain.
It is endless and unselfish, and
Enduring come what may,
For nothing can destroy it
Or take that love away.
- Unknown

Now we must walk the way ahead without her,
and take for company,
the echos of her voice,
the energy of her being,
the strength of her faith,
the security of her love
and live our lives well.
- Pauline Brooks

An urn of her ashes will be laid to rest with Uncle G. As she always held a spot in her heart for the farm where she was born and grew up (now owned by my brother), some of her ashes will be scattered there and a tree planted in her memory.

Afternoon tea was served in the church hall afterwards, where there was also a display of photos from Auntie M’s life. They brought back some memories and was a lovely touch.


Tuesday 11 May 2004

AC1 – Day 7

It’s 2 months since I went to the doctor for a pap smear and to have my lump checked, a lot has happened in that time!

I’m having my hair cut off at 1pm today at the local hairdresser. I’m having a little “wake” with SIL and friend R.

I wanted to beat the drugs to it!

J was a little upset at not having much sleep, but settled down OK.

I made up some canapés on mini toasts (ham, smoked salmon, metwurst, etc and garnishes), along with roasted capsicum dip and Andrew Garrett Sparkling Burgundy.

The hairdresser put my hair in 2 plaits and cut them off, I cried, it was hard to see all that hair go.

She then washed my hair and cut it short (scissors) – the longest is about 1.5cm, I think.

I put my wig on and realised it needed a little adjustment, so I went back to Bonnie Wigs to get it attended to. They cut a bit more off the fringe and we’ll see if it needs more adjusting when it settles more.

My head was getting incredibly itchy, I’m not sure whether it was the shampoo, the hair cut or getting used to the wig, but it’s “murder”. I picked up some DermaVeen (sp?) shampoo from National Pharmacies on the way home from picking H up.

I had positive comments about my new hair. H’s teacher saw me and thought it looked like me but wasn’t sure, so told H to stay with her until “Mum” arrived to collect him!

DH arrived home around 7pm from Sydney.

I have some red lumps coming up just under my hairline – perhaps from itching, perhaps not. I put some antiseptic cream on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home