05 May 2006

Chasing Tracy

The boys’ obsession strong interest in the Thunderbirds has been ongoing since the Christmas holidays when DH introduced them to our complete series of dvds, and the movie, “Thunderbirds Are Go”.

After the fiasco that was H’s birthday present, a multi-game table, including soccer (it was broken, had to be returned and we’ve not been able to replace it), we’ve been looking at other replacement options. While out shopping, we found Thunderbirds Soundtech Tracy Island at quite a reduced price. We were almost ready to buy it until we realized that it didn’t come with any vehicles – they are sold separately. Be buggered if we were going to pay $200 for the island, plus all the vehicles!

So we’ve been scouring the net looking at options and found that the range of “stuff” available is, well not like a tiny speck of a Tracy Island in the vast Pacific! After much searching, H had decided he’d prefer “Thunderbirds Powertech Tracy Island’, a smaller unit which opens up to show workable launch bays and includes 4-5 of the vehicles – hey, my brain can’t recall how many there are in the set.

Now it’s time to track down a reasonably priced.

H in particular is very excited at the prospect. The only down side is that we’ll have to keep J’s wrecking mitts off it! The boys have pocket money they can put towards bits and pieces. I guess we’ll have to help J out with some TB gear of his own.

J has homed in on one particular part of the episode “The Imposters”, where a really cool dude is sitting right back, driving his red convertible. In unison, the boys and cool dude say:

“At last, a stretch of clear road, no crazy road hogs getting in the way of my beeeutifil wagon.
Alright baby, here we go.
That’s my baby, that’s my babyyy!!!”

J mimics it really well and it makes me laugh every time.


Wednesday 5 May 2004

AC1 – Day 1

Took J to Kindergym and the play cafe as usual this morning.

Today marked the start of my chemotherapy. I’ve been very nervous and apprehensive about this.

My appointment with my oncologist was set down for 2pm.

K across the road offered to mind J for us, which was a huge help. H would be going to after school care as my appointment was likely to be 2 hours plus.

I filled in the necessary paperwork at the front desk which states that I’m having treatment as a day patient, so it is covered by my insurance.

We then waited for the appointment, filled out more paperwork and sorted out the blood test and next treatment appointments.

My onc went through what was involved with my treatment. I would be having 4 by 3 week cycles of AC (Adriamicin and Cyclophosphamide) to start with. He went through the side effects and when they were likely to “strike” if at all. Prescriptions for anti nausea tablets were written out and instructions given – they were only to be taken for 2 days, some morning only before eating, others morning and night after eating, and Stemetil as needed. My heart scan had come back within the normal range of 50-80 and although it was 53, it was not that much different from 79. He listened to my heart and checked my wound site.

I needed to organise a referral from my GP.

We then went into the clinic where I had a gelco put in, blood was drawn for testing and saline drip started. We waited for the blood results to come back (which took some time) before starting treatment. Anti nausea drugs were given first (IV), then the red Adriamicin, a large horse needle syringe which was manually given through the drip over time, then the Cyclophosphamide was hooked in from a separate drip bag.

I could taste these drugs as they were administered and had some ice and crackers.

The set up was quite nice, they have recliner chairs and heating pads to put your arm on. They have a large fish tank with several types of tropical fish.

We finished treatment at around 4.25pm. I went to the toilet before I left and my pee was already reddish, which surprised me a little as I didn’t think it would happen so quickly.

We picked H up from after school care at 4.35pm, although he didn’t want to leave as he was cutting pigs out of green playdough and having too good a time.

Surprisingly, I felt quite OK.

Took 2 stemetil before bedtime, just in case.

I put my fluoride trays for the first time tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home