13 May 2006

Just call me Mrs Fixit

I’ve always had a loathing for cleaning dishes. I had a major coup when we had our kitchen done as part of our last round of extensions and renovations in 1994, and we purchased our electrically operated (as opposed to one that has 2 arms, 2 legs and only works sometimes) dishwasher.

For some reason, DH thought it would be a white elephant – and I thought he knew me better than that!

Over the years, I’ve been diligent in cleaning it and running cleaners through it, but alas, we’ve had to call for service twice due to the pressure switch failing. In truth, the reservoir connected to the electronics part of the pressure switch has become clogged with muck. This means that the water inflow does not cut off properly, and it doesn’t empty – yes huge puddles on the floor and we have a machine that won’t run a full cycle – yeah, useless as…

I suppose the last service call was around 2 years ago, after said dishwasher being inoperative for a couple of months.

All was going well until about a week ago when the telltale flooding of the floor recommenced.

This time I decided that with the symptoms presented, I should be able to do the repairs myself. I pulled the offending part out, and sure enough it was absolutely clogged with crap again. Once cleaned out and reinstalled, and replacing the hose to the pressure switch (using one replaced on a previous service call - sometimes pays to be hoarders) it worked like a charm – you little bewdy!

So once again, I’m a happy little vegemite, with a properly functioning dishwasher and I’ve kept that $200-250 in my pocket!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home