21 September 2008

I am still on the planet

Life goes on, even if my blog seems to have fallen into an abyss.

After my yearly mammo, I neglected to make my next 6 monthly appointment, which is due this week. The earliest I could get in is November!

On the subject of my March appointment, everything is going well. My surgeon still wants me to stay on tamoxifen for the full 5 years (this will be up in October next year). I’m OK with that. I’ll have some hormone tests done in March or October 2009 and if they come back to say I’m truly in menopause, then he’ll put me on an aromatose inhibitor. The down side will be joint pain – not at all looking forward to that, but if it increased my chances of my cancer not returning, I’ll take it and deal with it.

After three and a half years of a yearly spike, the last year and a bit has been spike free, I’m pretty confident that I’m am indeed there now. I just hope I haven’t jinxed myself.

We had a record breaking heat wave in March this year, with 15 consecutive days above 35C including 13 consecutive days above 37.8C (100F). Previous records were 8 and 7 days respectively. We created new records for an Australian capital city, for any time of year. The nights were hot as well. All this put my menopause symptoms into overdrive and did nothing for my sense of humour.

This winter has been relative good as far as those horrid menopause symptoms are concerned. I was brought back down to earth when we had a couple of days over 25C this month and my internal thermostat blew a fuse.

As usual, I’m not looking forward to the approaching summer.

I recently “celebrated” my 48th birthday, something that seemed impossible four and a half years ago. Being the geek I am, got excited about my new 1tb external hard drive from all my boys. The plan is to convert our digital video tapes to dvd, a very space hungry process.

Oh yeah, I’m heavier than ever. This really has to stop!

Now, on to my family. DH started his own business earlier this year. They are doing OK and have plenty of work coming in. I designed the company logo, business cards and other stationery.

The boys? H is in Year 4 and J is in Year 1. Both have fabulous teachers. They continue to enjoy school. Both boys are doing 10 pin bowling. H chose soccer as his winter sport and will go back to cricket next term for his summer sport.

There’s 1 more week of Term 3 and then 2 weeks holidays for the boys. Term 4 is short, at 8 weeks. It’s hard to believe how quickly this year has gone. I’ll soon have a Year 5 and Year 2.

But hey, let’s not wish our precious lives away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home