12 November 2006

He’s gone!

And I helped him leave.

After 4.5 months on the sick list, yes, it’s been that long, I took DH to the airport this afternoon. I even had to steer the car this time as the autopilot was a bit rusty. DH is spending his first week back at work interstate – he’s self employed and only works interstate or overseas, so that’s no biggy.

The last 4.5 months have been filled with hospital, resistant infections, 13 different combinations of antibiotics, pain, swelling, doctor visits, lymph damage, muscle wastage, physio, compression socks, gym rehab, limb elevation, rest, head defogging...

It’s only been during the last week that he’s done the afternoon school run, and only because J was home sick.
So today is a very important milestone.

Standing and sitting have been his worst enemy – they cause pain and swelling – I won’t even mention flying. His job entails that he travel and stand all day for the 5 days he’s working.

He thinks he’s still around 2-3 months off being back to where he was in June, but progress is progress.

It was with a little trepidation and a hint of excitement (I think not) that we said our farewells and left him on the footpath on the elevated roadway outside departures for the first time in 4.5 months.

I have to get back in the saddle, although I don’t think I was truly out of it anyway, and get used to “doing it all” again, although it’s a bit like riding a bike, you never forget how.

Giddy up! Yar mule!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home