25 September 2006

Faith

Faith is an interesting word. Simplistically, it can mean having a belief in a higher being, it can mean looking inwards to gain strength when it’s needed. So having faith doesn’t necessarily mean you have religious beliefs. Faith = Belief, whether self or external.

I grew up in a Christian home. I went to Sunday School. I went to church. I ended my education at a Christian private school. I then left “religion” behind. I got married in a garden with a marriage celebrant, and the only times I set foot in a church since have been for other people’s weddings, baptisms and funerals. The one thing I have kept, are the values instilled in me as part of my Christian upbringing. This is one reason my boys attend a Christian private school. Education is not merely academics, it’s the whole person.

I don’t believe in a supreme being, I don’t believe in an afterlife. I don’t begrudge others for having their beliefs. Faith is a very personal issue.

Life is full of highs and lows. To thank God for the highs, and question your God why things go wrong might sit well with some, but it, like “it’s in God’s plan” or “God doesn’t give you any more than you can handle” is a whole load of crap to me.

Shit happens – you need to be able to collect your thoughts, get it right in your head and get on with your life, whether by yourself or with help from others.

As someone once said to me “you’re here for a good time, not a long time”. You have one life, it’s short and it’s (mostly) up to you what you make it. Enjoy it!


Saturday 25 September 2004

CMF3 – Day 4

“Slept in” until around 10 am, I’m very tired. Didn’t sleep that well, had disturbed sleep – hot flushes (all body).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home