25 June 2006

I found it!

I knew I had it, but like most things recently, I couldn’t remember where I’d put it.

It was released in 1992 on cassette and cd. Not wanting to fork out for the then comparatively expensive cd, I bought the cassette version. I shall have to convert it so I can listen to it on my mp3 player.

So what AM I talking about? The Money or the Gun’s “Stairways to Heaven”.

TMOTG was a “chat” show on Aussie TV with Andrew Denton (now of Enough Rope). Each show closed with a different artist performing their version of Led Zepplin’s “Stairway to Heaven” and this is a collection of those tracks.

So who are the 22 that made the final cut and took the opportunity to, in some cases, desecrate the song written by Robert Plant and Jimmy Page?

Kate Cebrano and The Ministry of Fun
John Paul Young (similar to “Love is in the Air”)
Pardon Me Boys
Nick Barker and The Reptiles
Rolf Harris (Yep, that’s Rolf alright!)
The Australian Doors Show
Sandra Hahn and Michael Turkic (operatic version)
Toots (Helen Jones)
Robyne Dunn (similar to “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”)
Neil Pepper (Elvis)
The Rock Lobsters (a B-52's version)
Toys Went Berserk (head banger version)
Jodie Gillies
The Beatnix (Beatles - “I Want to Hold Your Hand” style version)
The Fargone Beauties (guitars and banjos)
Etcetera Theatre Company
Judi Cornelli
Barry Crocker and The Doug Anthony Allstars
Vegemite Reggae
The Whipper Snappers
Sydney Philharmonia
Leonard Teale (in typical Leonard Teale monotone fashion)

Yes, I know, you’d be lucky to identify many if any of those “artistes”. Perhaps a preview might help jog some of those brain cells?

It’s odd to think that despite its popularity, “Stairway” was never officially released as a single by Led Zepplin. Rolf Harris’ version (complete with didgeridoo and wobble board) reached the Top 10 on the UK singles charts and was reported responsible for resurrecting his career.

With any song that has gathered “cult like” following, someone has to listen to it backwards and invariably they claim there is a hidden satanic message. All the versions listed here, along with the rest of the 101 versions can be found here at WMFU - ENJOY!


Friday 25 June 2004

AC3 – Day 10

H got his first written school report today – it was all good news!

A white lump/blister has come up between my big and next toe (underneath), it hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home