07 February 2006

My baby started school today

Today was the first day of the new school year so we were up bright and early. We made it out the door by 7.45am, amazing!! The obligatory “1st day photos” up against the brick wall were taken. When H started preschool, we developed a new system of height measurement – house bricks (brick courses). H is now 17HB and J 13.5-14HB! I looked back and H was 14HB when he started preschool.

We settled H to his new classroom (Year 2), then took J into the preschool. After the first 2 weeks of half days for settling in, J’ll attend 3 full days a week. Yes, I have been looking forward to this day, but also thinking it sad that I’m ‘losing” my baby. J has been so looking forward to starting, he’s been eagerly counting down the number of sleeps.

We had “interview day” yesterday to meet the teachers, hand over the necessary stationery and paperwork, and get briefed on the classroom routine. I’m surprised I actually remembered everything and was organised.

I started being a little selfish today by having a couple of quiet coffees with DH and a girlfriend, then going shopping with my girlfriend. It was sooo nice to be able to relax. I foresee many more "selfish" moments coming up! Hmmmm, coffee mornings, shopping expeditions, movie screenings, craft days, lazy days; can you see where this is leading?

Anyway, J had a great time, no tears (I did OK too). He did a drawing, a painting and played with coloured glass beads on the overhead projector making some wonderful patterns, so his teacher told us. He did get a little grumpy when he was told it was time to go home, he wanted to stay all day! I hope his enthusiasm continues – it is the start of a 14 year journey through the school. Why do I immediately start to feel a lot older when I say that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home